Portland Public Schools (PPS) enrollment is steadily growing, and PPS and a community-led committee are collaborating on proposals to balance enrollment and thoughtfully manage growth.
[UPDATED PARAGRAPH] Thursday, October 29, PPS staff presented enrollment balancing proposals to the District-wide Boundary Review Advisory Committee (DBRAC) and posted them here.
In November, we are offering multiple opportunities for community members to comment on the proposals, including on Facebook, in Twitter Town Halls, and via an online survey. There will also be in-person community meetings across the city:
- Monday, November 2, 12-1pm: Twitter Town Hall @ppsconnect, #askpps
- Monday, November 2, 7-8pm: Facebook Town Hall
- Monday, November 9, 6-8pm, Hosford Middle School, 2303 SE 28th Pl
- Tuesday, November 10, 6-8pm, Cesar Chavez K-8, 5103 N Willis Blvd
- Thursday, November 12, 6-8pm, Center for Intercultural Organizing, 700 N Killingsworth St.
- Monday November 16, 10am-12pm, Asian Pacific American Network of OR, 8114 SE Division St
- Monday November 16, 6-8pm, West Sylvan Middle School, 8111 SW West Slope Dr
- Tuesday November 17, 6-8pm, Charles Jordan Community Center, 9009 N. Foss Ave
- Tuesday November 17, 6-8pm, Madison High School, 2735 NE 82nd Ave [en EspaÃ±ol]
- Wednesday November 18, 6-8pm, Roseway Heights K-8, 7334 NE Siskiyou St
- Monday November 23, 6-8pm, Markham K-5, 10531 SW Capitol Hwy
- New Meeting: Monday November 23, 7-9 pm, Lane Middle School, 7200 SE 60th Ave
- New Meeting: Tuesday, November 24, 7-9pm: King K-8 School, 4906 NE Sixth Ave
Meetings will include an overview and Q-and-A about the proposals, break-out group discussion and public testimony. Childcare will be provided.
In December, DBRAC will refine proposals for Superintendent Carole Smith. The Superintendent will then take a final proposal to the Portland School Board in January for consideration, additional community input and a vote in the weeks to follow. Implementation of any changes would begin in Fall 2016 and may phase in over time.
For more information, please refer to this announcement.